Aviation Merit Badge Day Schedule
Aviation Merit Badge Day Schedule ~ 2017
The Aviation Merit Badge Event program is structured to introduce young adults to careers and basic education in aviation.
This is a separate 2-day event! (not an overnight event)
Scouts are expected to commit to the two day event
Friday, May 19th
6:00pm – 6:30pm
- Arrival – Horizon Air Operation Building
- Check-in – Security ID badges and pouch assigned
- The event is open to 175 Scouts/Venturers
- During registration, Scouts will be assigned to 1 of 2 groups for classroom instruction for Friday evening only
- Adults may accompany Scouts to classroom sessions
6:30pm – 9:30pm
- Aviation 101 and Charting classroom sessions with class rotation at 8:00pm.
- Depart for home at 9:30pm
- Adults picking up Scouts should arrive prior to 9:30 PM
Saturday, May 20th
8:15 AM – 8:45 AM
- Check-in and sign up for a merit badge counseling session
- Scouts and adults proceed to the waiting area
8:45 AM – 12:00 Noon
- Scouts and adults proceed to the hanger floor
- Scouts focus on completing these merit badge requirements: Career Day, Airport Facilities and Runways, Preflight and model building
12:00 Noon to 1:00 PM
- Lunch Hour – Scouts are required to bring a brown bag lunch, no lunch will be provided.
- During the lunch break, all Scouts will have the opportunity to visit the following Static Displays:
- – Q400 Tour
- – Port Fire and Emergency response and dog sniffing units
- – Military aircraft
- – Career Education discussions with Aviation Professionals
Merit Badge Counseling: 12:30pm– 3:00pm
- Merit Badge Counseling will be provided in the Classroom section of the Operations Center. Scouts will be counseled according to the time period in which they signed up to counsel. Scouts not ready to counsel when they signed up will be seen later when space is available.
- Scouts will also have the opportunity to return to the Static displays after their assigned Merit Badge counseling time until 3:00pm.
- Scouts who chose to leave early will be given Merit Badge Counselor contact information. Once the Scout checks out of the building, they may not re-enter.
- Scouts who choose to participate in the Merit Badge Counseling portion are free to leave when they have finished.
1:00 PM to 3:00 PM
- Scouts not ready to begin merit badge counseling, continue with finishing merit badge requirements including Career Day, Airport Facilities and Runways, Preflight and model building
- Continue visiting the static displays and vender tables
- Vacate Hanger floor
The 2017 Aviation Merit Badge Event will close at 3:00pm. Parents should be available earlier than 3:00 pm to pick up their Scouts as they sign out of the Horizon Operations Center.